We invite you to explore
Experience destinations designed for transit riders. All vehicles & bus stops are ADA accessible.
Catch a bite to eat. Did you know there are nearly 100 restaurants to choose from right on the Bmx route? Great local eats with everyday favorites are easy to find when you use our Bites on Broadway map.
Time to go shopping? Enjoy exploring Northwest Indiana’s best local shops, markets, and national brands.
Need fresh air? Pedal a local bike trail. Bmx bus stops are located along Green Link, L. Calumet, and C&O trails. For your convenience, all of our vehicles are equipped with bike racks.
Broadway Metro Express (Bmx)
Rapid bus service from downtown Gary to Crown Point.
The Bmx route spans 13 miles from the Adam Benjamin, Jr. Metro Center all the way to the Lake County Government Building with 20 main stops and 4 “flag” stops. New this year, three stops were added to the Bmx route—the Lake County Government Building, Adam Benjamin Jr. VA Outpatient Clinic, and Purdue Research Park/Ivy Tech Campus.
The buses run every 30 minutes and trips will increase to every 20 minutes as ridership grows.
Four brand new Electric Buses are here and will soon be your preferred form of transportation. Cheaper to operate, with improved air quality and noise reduction, you will want to experience GPTC's latest fleet addition. The noise reduction along with a smoother ride delivers a distinct difference in passenger comfort. But it might come as a surprise for pedestrians, so be sure to pay extra attention.
The region's first fleet of electric buses will service the Broadway Express (Bmx) route and change Broadway to a very low-emissions corridor. Improving air quality and reducing the heat island effect makes GPTC and Lake County more environmentally friendly. We can all celebrate that!
Here are a few fun facts. The buses are:
- 35 feet in length.
- Able to travel 120-140 miles on a single charge.
- Equipped with bike racks.
- ADA accessible with auto stop announcements.
- Emitting 90% less carbon monoxide compared to conventional diesel buses.
- Equipped with automatic passenger counters.
- Saving up to 25,000 gallons of diesel fuel per year.
- Reducing CO2 in the atmosphere by 266 tons per year.
Where can you go with Rapid Bus Service? !
Great local eats with everyday favorites.
There are nearly 100 restaurants to choose from right on the Bmx route. Northwest Indiana is home to many local gems featuring great ethnic cuisines and local Region favorites. Head to a favorite cafe or explore something new. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, dinner, or to grab a quick bite, you’ll find it on the Bmx. It’s easier than you think!
Enjoy Livable Broadway
The Livable Broadway Regional Plan
Gary Public Transportation Corporation commissioned the Livable Broadway Regional Plan (LBRP) to assess opportunities for improving bus service within Gary, Merrillville, and Crown Point while enhancing economic development, environment, and land use and promoting livability within the corridor.
- Development. New businesses are encouraged to come to Broadway and partner with transit for improved access for customers and employees.
- Activity. Community organizations are encouraged to partner with transit to make station locations vibrant. Early successes include the Broadway Metro Farmers Markets program.
- Artwork. Select bus stops include artwork by local artists, reflecting upon the elements that make Northwest Indiana great.
Thank you to our partners for support in making the LBRP a reality.
Lake Michigan Coastal Program
City of Gary
Gary Stormwater Management District
Town of Merrillville
NWI Regional Planning Commission
Indiana University Northwest
Ivy Tech Community College
Stewart House Urban Farm
Catholic Charities/Nature's Helper